For more information about PCOM, click here.

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Words from the Wards: Part I

While driving home the other day, thinking about my next post topic, I realized that there's only so many ways I can talk about performing OMT on patients. Then I thought about the rest of my classmates, who are also learning and doing so much, and figured I'd contact some and see if any wanted to talk about their experiences. Many were interested, so this is the first official installment of, "Alyssa Harassing Her Classmates to Talk about Their Rotations so That You Don't Have to Read Her Ramblings All the Time." 


(Please keep in mind that these are students at specific sites, and their opinions do not represent one's entire experience during rotations, or the overall experience at a specific site. The names of the students and sites will always be kept anonymous, because no WAY am I going to be the girl that made it through the first two years plus boards, just to get expelled because she started drama between certain hospitals and PCOM.)


Here are a few that have written in so far; happy reading! 


"My Infectious Disease rotation is interesting work. We get a lot of independent patient interaction and attending physician feedback, which is a nice way to learn. This area of medicine has its ups and downs, though. It is great because it allows you to really apply all the bugs and drugs you worked so hard to learn, and you get to see how it all works in real life. The down side is the real life part, as almost every single patient on this service is critically ill and many have passed away while I have been on this service. It is a challenge I haven't really figured out how to work through yet, so I am not sure if this area of medicine is or isn't for me, but it is a rotation worth doing no matter what area of medicine you choose."


"In my first rotation, I wanted to explore my interests in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.  I found a rotation site that had outpatient pain management and inpatient rehab!  The outpatient experience allowed me to practice my neuromuscular physical exam skills and see interesting procedures in the OR.  Inpatient has given me an initial exposure to a hospital and insight into the functional challenges that patients have to deal with in every day life.  My mind may change specialty interests along the way, but I sure am enjoying interacting with patients."


I love the next piece, particularly because it highlights the raw, emotional aspect of medicine. Sitting with your head in a book for two years, you forget that you're treating real people, and that you won't always be able to swoop in and save the day. 



"Last week was tough.  It wasn't an issue with implementing a complex treatment plan or dealing with a difficult disease--I felt like my humanity was being challenged.  

The hospital had a pregnant mom come in with positive drug screens throughout pregnancy, various social concerns and several prescription drugs that should be avoided while pregnant.  When the baby was finally born, she struggled to breathe, turning blue.  At the time, your focus is on the algorithm for babies when they struggle to survive (supply oxygen, push epi, etc), but when you put on your stethoscope and you can't hear the heartbeat, your heart falls into your stomach.  Thankfully, this baby eventually became stable.   

After everything has calmed down, you think back on the mother and her poor decisions during pregnancy, and you judge her.  You don't feel guilty as you inform the mom that her positive drug screen and previous children in foster care make it very likely that she will not be bringing this child home.  You don't feel guilty when she cries, upset as any mother should be.  She messed up and she knows it (even if she is in denial on the outside), and because of her actions, someone else will make the decisions for her newborn.  

I went home that day and didn't realize how upset I was until I found myself crying while riding my bike along the Schuylkill.  I was upset for the poor newborn; I was upset for how much I judged the mother; and I was upset at how the negative feelings followed me around for the rest of the day.

Hospitals are places of healing, but there are many awful stories.  We have to learn how to deal with those sad stories too..."