For more information about PCOM, click here.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

It's exactly like Grey's, except I'm by myself and there's no drama.

I've finally made my way to the big leagues: surgery rotations! I'm finishing up my month of general and am off to orthopedics next month. I wasn't expecting to have a career epiphany this month (I value the freedom to eat/go to the bathroom too much to stand in the freezing cold OR for hours on end), and I didn't have one (thank goodness, or else my world would have been turned upside down). I'm with a surgeon who is in private practice in Philadelphia, and he defies any and every surgeon stereotype: he knows all of his patient very well (hugs them, asks about their children/pets), is well-liked and well-respected by the OR staff (always cracking jokes and rarely throws a fit), and is extremely patient when teaching inept medical students (like yours truly) how to scrub in for the first time. I don't know if he was really hardcore early in his career and has mellowed out over the years, or if he's just always remained goodhearted and down-to-earth, but I lucked out, because some of my classmates are counting down the days until they're free. What's also really interesting is that some of my friends who were gung-ho surgery last year are starting to re-think their career choice. It's an extremely tough lifestyle, and even if you want to specialize, you have to pay your dues during a five-year general surgery residency. I'm just hoping that, by the end of the year, I have half a clue of what I want to do when I grow up. 

Summary of this month: 
Hernias: You have a hole in the wall of your gut/groin, and now stuff (fat or bowel) is poking out. We (and by "we," I mean the surgeon; I'll just stand there and maybe hold the retractor or cut knots, if I'm lucky and don't mess up) will put a piece of mesh over the hole and sew you back up. No, we can't throw in a tummy tuck. 

Gallbladder: The little sack making bile is freaking out, so it's gotta go. You'll get some tiny cuts and we'll put a camera and some tools that look like mini versions of what delinquents use to pick up highway trash. 

Appendix: See gallbladder. Also known as "surgeon's boat payments" back in the day. I don't even own my car, so I can't speak to how true that expression is. 

Lumps and bumps: Something's there, and it needs to come out. (*Pilonidal cyst: Cyst in your buttock crack due to an ingrown hair. Also known as "Jeep seat" during WWII. Surprisingly common among men. Loved the looks I got when the male patients would have to get half-naked so the doctor could change the packing in the office. The more you know.) 

Next month: hips, knees, shoulders, and maybe some fractures or other bone traumas. I'm just psyched to see the intimidating tools the surgeons get to use (saws, drills, hammers and the like). It will also be the first time I'll be on a service with a classmate, so I'm looking forward to having a battle buddy. 

The other week, I went to a local art studio for a painting party with some friends.
This was the model...

...and this is my masterpiece. Good thing the extent of my
art responsibilities is drawing neuro exam stick figures.
I should give it to my parents and tell them my 5-year-old cousin made it.
At least then they wouldn't laugh.