For more information about PCOM, click here.

Friday, March 16, 2012

Interview with a DO/MPH student

If you want to meet someone that's going to change the world, meet Vicki. She's a second year DO student who is also pursuing her Masters in Public Health at Temple University through PCOM's DO/MPH dual-degree program. I had the honor of getting to know Vicki through serving on student government together, and she was the first person I thought of when looking for DO/MPH interviewees. When she's not traveling the world completing service projects (past destinations include the Dominican Republic, Nepal, India, and Thailand), she's heading up mental health initiatives at PCOM (including "You Are Not Alone: Mental Health Among Us," a student-run patient perspective). 


Vicki in Jharkhand, India, where she worked with the NGO Yuwa-India



Why did you decide to pursue a dual degree at PCOM?
Public health gives me many more tools for treating patients.  Those tools will allow me to treat populations and the social determinants of health while medicine allows me to treat individuals and the physical determinants of health.  The skills to treat both will hopefully make me a more well-rounded physician.

How has your academic schedule changed?  What is your course schedule like for your MPH?
I do not take OMM or PCS during my first 2nd year as I have been taking my core classes at Temple. During the fall semester, I had night classes Monday and Wednesdays, and this spring I have class Tuesdays and Thursdays.  There are summer terms as well, but it is nice that the trimesters at PCOM and semesters at Temple overlap without too much conflict.  During my second 2nd year, I will be taking OMM, PCS, completing my fieldwork, writing my thesis, and studying for boards.

How has this changed your study schedule? 
Some weeks are public health weeks, and some weeks are med school weeks.  It’s a matter of prioritizing assignments and breaking up the work.  I have really learned to crack down on my tendency to procrastinate, which does not work with the dual degree.

What is the best thing about the dual degree track?
I have the opportunity to get to know more DO students (classes of 2014 and 2015), the Temple social work and public health students and more faculty.  I love the public health dynamic as it brings a diverse group of professionals together, and it provides a nice contrast to the large lectures at PCOM.  Getting to know more students, hear their stories and why they are passionate has translated into motivated and reinvigorated studying for my DO classes.

What is the worst thing about the dual degree track?
Added loans…

When are you planning on taking Step 1 of your boards?
Spring 2013

How do you plan on using your degree after you graduate PCOM?
I would like to go into academic Family Practice.  I want to study the most efficient and impacting way to help the most people and the most vulnerable people.  Someone actually once told me I should be a 1950s GP and then just know everything, which is something I continually strive for.  I have a soft spot for adolescents and mental health, so I would like to design health interventions for vulnerable youth as part of larger community development projects all over the world or wherever the wind takes me. I also anticipate running into policy barriers that will undoubtedly impede my patients’ and communities’ health.  When that comes along, I’ll take my policy knowledge I’m learning with my public health degree and advocate to change it.