For more information about PCOM, click here.

Friday, April 13, 2012

And the winner is...

I know I said I'd tell you about other things before the banquet, but since the event is one near and dear to my heart (and because the council I serve on helped plan it), I want to tell you all about that one first. Then we'll go back to mustaches and convo. 

The Osteopathic Medicine Council, who won the Group Dedication to the Community Award for their work on Relay for Life

The 2nd Annual Student Leadership Banquet was on Wednesday (if you didn't read my previous excitement-filled post), and over 150 student leaders came out to the activities center to celebrate the past year's accomplishments! Over 100 nominations were submitted by student leaders for their peers for over a dozen awards, including Outstanding Student Organization of the Year (OMM Club!) and Outstanding Student Leader of the Year (this year's SOC Chair). The nominations were reviewed and winners were chosen by a super-secret administrative committee. Having worked closely with many student leaders, I can say that this year's winners were all incredibly deserving, and I am so, so proud of all of them (hey, YOU pour blood, sweat and tears into developing a branch of student government, get to know your classmates better, work with them through sticky situations and celebrate the happy times, and don't tell me you wouldn't get emotional standing at a podium, looking at all of them while some sappy movie soundtrack was playing in your head). 

Sadly, though, I wasn't able to be Miss Golden Globe; the coordinator for campus life said there was an "executive decision" made beforehand, which was kind of a letdown, but then turns out the reason for banning me from the stage (okay, well, I wasn't BANNED, but it felt like it in the moment) was because I was the recipient of one of the later awards, and since all the awards are laid out on the table onstage, I would have had full view of all of them, and they were afraid I was going to peek. (Yeah, I totally would have; I'm not even going to pretend otherwise.) 


Photos and the list of winners can be found on the PCOM Facebook page